Wednesday, July 31, 2013

How to eat a watermelon...

An accelerated nursing program is like trying to eat a watermelon in one big gulp.  One my instructors, who is such a wonderful, engaging and charismatic person offered the analogy that nursing school is just like eating a big watermelon....don't shove it down in one big bite.....but slice it up really thin and eat it one piece at the time....so now picture this: me shoving in the proverbial watermelon at least five slices at the time because I am busy...and taking in just one slice at the time may not be fast enough!!!! 

The first term of nursing school is like putting out fires ... there is always something due or needing to be done.  It is both exciting and an incredible amount of work to accomplish.  It took the first few weeks to settle into a new routine.  Then week four brought the first midterm, week five another, and week six yet another one and add to that over a handful of online quizzes, 2 case studies, 3 midterms and plenty of written reflections have been done.  At this point half the term is over and finals will be looming before I know it....but first a whole lot of more project assignments are coming up in a snappy order.  Tomorrow is our medicine calculation exam, Friday offers competency sign off on vital signs and the first set of injections....and next week - well actually my brain have not caught up to that yet ... woot woot ... better keep that helmet on because we are going full speed ahead!

I love nursing school.  It is a big adjustment and so much is coming at me very fast and I am just trying to take it all in.  I feel very competent in the things we do and learn but I will admit that I have not performed quite as well as I wanted on my exams.  I know my material but I am learning that tests in nursing school requires a different approached...and I am slowly adjusting my learning.  The learning is tough, challenging and wonderful ... I feel such a great sense of accomplishment just being here.

There are some tough parts too and the hardest one for me is being away from home.  I knew that I would miss the kids more than anything in the world ... but if possible I miss them more than that!  They are my everything .. and I totally miss tucking them in at night, giving them hugs, and just have all the little everyday moments with them.  Nothing is better than getting home Friday night and getting the most wonderful hugs and smiles :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment