Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Mr. Awesome...

Little N is so awesome ... I went to the NICU yesterday and got to sit and hold him for a while.  He is such a little sweetheart.  He has reached 5 lbs and has little rolls under his chin - he is so cute.

I am so excited that he is leaving soon .... I will miss seeing them all but yeah they are going home!!!

The last ten weeks has been very hard emotionally and also physically draining.  A premature delivery via c-section was NO fun but my scars have healed nicely and my stomach muscles have come back together ... so now I just need to work on my "blubber" as Sebastian calls it :-)  I want to get back to working out but will be going slowly as I do not want it to impact my milk supply. 

Little N has been exclusively on fortified breast milk since birth.  I love that his parents want my milk for him.  Pumping for him is one way that I can still do something good to help him grow.  Being a long term pumper does have its challenges and keeping up a good milk supply takes both a lot of work and time commitment.   Many things can cause your milk supply to drop and mine already took a bit of a nose dive when we lost little J.  I have been able to get some of the volume back but I do not think I will get back to where I was.  Some key factors for a good supply are a healthy diet, lots of fluids and a consistent pumping schedule is vital.  I have now pumped for almost 10 weeks and although I have adjusted my schedule to get a longer stretch of sleep overnight, it is seldom that I get more than 5 hours in a row and slight sleep deprivation is a constant state of being.  I pump about 5-6 times a day for a minimum of 1/2 hour at the time .. so you do the math - my pump is my best friend these days!  Moo ... but I gotta say seeing my handsome surro-babe get little rolls on his arms, legs and under his little tiny chin makes all the effort worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment